You wish to repair .NET installations on computers in your environment.
The .NET Repair Tool (published by Microsoft) is only applicable to the following supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista.
In the case of Windows 8x, Windows 10 and 2012x installations, you may repair the original installation by using sfc /scannow or, better, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth or use the repair tool to repair a user-installed, and therefore higher, version of .NET. Since Windows 8x and Windows 10 are not officially supported by the repair tool, it is strongly recommended to test this first to ensure suitability. The normal warning and dangers of choose-your-own-adventure (unsupported) deployments apply.
There are two methods to repairing .NET installations: using PDQ Deploy to create/deploy a package or manually running the repair tool.
Method 1: Deploying the .NET Framework Repair Tool using PDQ Deploy
1. Obtain the .NET Framework Repair Tool.
2. Open PDQ Deploy and create a New Package. Set the appropriate Package Properties:
3. In the Install Step (Step 1 in the image above), use the file picker to navigate to the NetFxReapirTool.exe you downloaded. In the example below, the $(Repository) variable was used after the exe was moved to the Repository.
Note the use of the Parameters, /option (always required) and the option for a silent install, /q. These are the bare minimum parameters to deploy the package.
Selected list of options (must always be used with the /options parameter):
- /? or /help = Help information
- /q = quiet or silent repair
- /a = offline repair mode. Offline repair mode enables you to use share sources instead of going to the internet to obtain the source. For example, usage would be /a "\\Share\NETredistributable".
The following links are to the respective redistributable source:
.NET 3.5 SP1 Installer (includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2)
.NET 4.0 Installer
.NET 4.5.1 Installer
.NET 4.5.2 Installer
.NET 4.6 Installer
.NET 4.6.1 Installer
.NET 4.6.2 Installer
In the above example, the mandatory /option parameter and the /q parameter required for quiet installations are used, as well as the /a parameter with the "\\PathToRedistributable\redistro.exe" (in this example, this is the .NET 4.0 redistributable).
4. You can set the appropriate Conditions and Options as necessary (requires PDQ Deploy in Pro or Enterprise mode).
5. Save the package and deploy at will.