What is Munki?
Munki is an open-source project that provides macOS software management functionality, including a self-service app store for the end-user. Munki has been integrated with SimpleMDM so that you may utilize it in your account without any additional setup.
- Device-enrolled macOS device (includes Automated Enrollment and Manual Enrollment. Apple's User Enrollment is not supported).
Supported App Types
SimpleMDM supports the following app installer and package formats for distribution using Munki:
- Installer Packages (.pkg). Unlike the native MDM protocol which only supports flat distribution packages, Munki supports most, if not all installer package formats.
- Apple Disk Images (.dmg).
All apps are uploaded to SimpleMDM the same way, whether for distribution through Munki or through native MDM channels. To upload an app, visit the App Catalog within SimpleMDM.
Munki supports two different methods of app distribution:
- Managed: These apps are automatically installed to devices without user intervention.
- Self-serve: These apps appear in the Munki Managed Software Center on the user's computer. They may choose to install them at any time. They are not automatically installed.
To assign apps to devices, visit the App Assignments section of the SimpleMDM admin interface and create a new assignment group. When creating the assignment group, select "Munki" as the type and then select managed or self-serve to suit your purposes.
Once the assignment group has been created, you may associate apps as well as devices and device groups within the assignment group.
Installing Apps and Updating Self-Serve Catalogs
Munki automatically checks in at regular intervals to see if new managed apps are designated for installation, existing apps have upgrades available, and if the self-serve app catalog has new options to present to the user.
If you wish to provoke Munki to begin installing and updating apps immediately, as well as update the self-serve catalog, you may do so from the assignment group actions button. Please note that this is not a necessary step, it simply notifies Munki to get started immediately instead of at a staggered interval.
SimpleMDM automatically installs Munki to any macOS devices that are part of a Munki assignment group. No additional steps are required.