You need to download packages from the Package Library.
This article covers the different types of packages available in the Package Library, and how to download them.
The Package Library can be accessed by selecting Package Library in the toolbar or by expanding Package Library in the tree. The Package Library is organized by Category and Vendor, and selecting the root of the Package Library will display all available packages in the Package Library page.
There are four types of packages available in the Package Library.
- Auto Download Packages - Auto Download Packages are maintained by the PDQ Solutions team. When an application in the Package Library is updated by the vendor, the PDQ Solutions team will build and test the package before publishing it to the Package Library.
- Standard Packages - Standard Packages are previous versions of Auto Download Packages. When an Auto Download Package is updated, the previous five versions of that package will remain available for download as a Standard Package.
- Uninstall Packages - If an application in the Package Library can be uninstalled silently, the uninstall package will be found here.
- Due to some applications having complex requirements for silently uninstalling, not all applications in the Package Library have a corresponding Uninstall Package. For applications that do not have an Uninstall Package in PDQ Deploy, try creating an Uninstall Package for that application in PDQ Inventory.
- Package Templates - Package Templates have pre-configured settings and corresponding Knowledge Base articles with instructions on how to complete the package. Some packages require additional pieces that are environment-specific, and wouldn't be able to be packaged for mass-distribution. Package Templates do most of the hard work for you, so all you have to do is provide the installers & any additional required installation files, and then follow the instructions for completing the package in the corresponding Knowledge Base article.
- Corresponding Knowledge Base articles for Package Templates can be found in the Description field of the Package Properties.
To download a package from the Package Library as an Auto Download Package:
- Select One, or more package(s) in the Package Library, right click any of the selected packages and select Download Selected > As Auto Download from the context menu.
- Make sure Enable Auto Download is enabled in Options > Preferences > Auto Download and perform one of the following actions:
- Double click a package in the Package Library.
- Select one, or more, package(s) in the Package Library and select Download Selected (As Auto Download) in the Package Library Page.
Note: Only the latest version of a package will be available as an Auto Download Package. Previous versions can only be downloaded as Standard Packages.
Auto Download Approval Settings
The Auto Download Approval settings determine when an Auto Download Package is downloaded, after being updated in the PDQ Library. Auto Download Approval settings can be configured in Options > Preferences or per-package in the Package Properties Options tab. Settings configured at the package level will override the global setting for that package.
- Enable Auto Download - When selected, Library Packages will download as Auto Download Packages. When de-selected, Library Packages will download as Standard Packages.
- Note: Regardless of which setting you use, both Auto Download and Standard Packages can still be downloaded by right clicking a Library Package > Download Package > Select As Auto Download or As Standard Package.
- Manual - Updated Auto Downloaded Packages will be available for download, but will not download until manually approved.
- This setting can be used to disable the Auto Download functionality, while preserving the ability to download an updated version of the package as-needed.
- Immediate - Auto Download Packages will be automatically approved and will download as soon as they are available.
- Automatic - Configure how many days / hours to wait, after becoming available in the Package Library, for an Auto Download Package to automatically download.
Converting Auto Download Packages to Standard Packages
If you will no longer require any updates to an Auto Download Package, but need to keep the package, you can convert it to a Standard Package by selecting Convert to Standard Package in the Package Properties Options Tab.
To download a package from the Package Library as a Standard Package:
- Select One, or more package(s) in the Package Library, right click any of the selected packages and select Download Selected > As Standard Package from the context menu.
- Select a package in the Package Library, and click Download Now next to the version you wish to download as a Standard Package in the Versions section of the Package Details menu.
- Make sure Enable Auto Download is disabled in Options > Preferences > Auto Download and perform one of the following actions:
- Double click a package in the Package Library.
- Select one, or more, package(s) in the Package Library and select Download Selected (As Standard Package) in the Package Library Page.
Note: Disabling Enable Auto Download in Options > Preferences > Auto Download will only affect the default behavior of downloading new packages. Auto Download Packages can still be downloaded using the context menu (right click > Download Selected)
To locate the Uninstall Packages in the Package Library: Expand Package Library > Categories > Uninstalls in the tree.
To Locate the Package Templates in the Package Library: Expand Package Library > Categories > Template in the tree.