PDQ Inventory was working fine, but has stopped being able to resolve hostnames.
LAN is simple, basic router, no WINS, no DNS, no domain, just a simple stand-alone setup
Suspect a windows update changed something? All PCs latest Windows 10. All machines "fresh and clean" with the necessary firewall settings for PDQ.
The computer CAN resolve hostnames from the command prompt "e.g. ping PC2" will resolve IPv4 address. UNC from PDQ machine to any PC works fine etc.
PDQ tool, RDP and event viewer work fine, but manage with MMC does not (though if run compmgmt manually, and then connect to remote PC that works).
Adding a remote PC hostname/IP to the hosts file - and everything starts working (!) for that PC.
- Its NOT firewall related on local or remote hosts
- Its NOT remote host related
- Adding hostname/IP to local hosts on PDQ machine and it works fine
- Hostnames DO resolve from command prompt.
- If machine is removed from PDQ and re-added, we get a green tick on host name resolution on the add box, but then does not resolve for scanning/heartbeat
Its as if PDQ is now using DNS to resolve the hostname (which is router DNS, so internet only - no LAN resolution) - and it checks hosts file - but does not check NETBIOS cache or try NetBIOS name resolution.
As mentioned, it did work since install till a couple of months ago.
I don't really want to give things fixed IP and add them to the hosts file lol - so any ideas?
(I don't think its a PDQ issue - but hope someone here had the same and can help)
Please sign in to leave a comment.